THE MOVE TO REMOTE WORKING
Lots of organizations have moved wholly or partially to remote working over the past couple of years. Microsoft 365 is a key component in this transition, as Universities, schools, NHS providers and businesses have swiftly deployed Microsoft 365 platform services.
THE NEW NORMAL
Meetings, seminars, school lessons and events now take place via Teams. Documents are stored in OneDrive, SharePoint Online and Teams. Communication take place in Teams chat alongside traditional email messages and voice calls.
For people working in this environment, there are significant challenges. New technologies have been rolled out alongside the old, adoption is mixed and ways to meet and places to store documents have proliferated.
Multiple Storage Locations
- Documents are stored in multiple locations (local PC, network file store, OneDrive, Teams, SharePoint and other cloud hosting services such as Dropbox or Google Drive) meaning they can be harder to find.
- People stick to the legacy technology (file store) or use other commercial cloud storage services (e.g. Dropbox) because that is what they know best.
- no one is quite sure where the most appropriate place to save something is.
- Use of personal cloud storage has proliferated.
Remote Access is Complex
Staff are required to use VPN or remote desktop services to access file storage areas.
Document controls are not maintained as staff are unsure where the definitive version of a document is held and are not sure how to manage sharing and access controls.
Staff Competancy Gaps
There is not enough shared understanding amongst colleagues about how to share effectively from cloud storage locations, so early adopters have to spend a lot of time coaching their colleagues.
Lots of MS Teams have been created but there is no agreed process for deciding a Team’s purpose, lifespan, membership criteria or archiving arrangements. Staff complain about being members of too many Teams.
People get overwhelmed by multiple Teams and chat messages because they don’t know how to set controls
Some people use Teams chat, others rely on email. The use of personal devices and non-corporate messaging services (e.g. WhatsApp) has proliferated during the prolonged period of remote working.
Ineffective Teams Meetings
Teams meetings are pretty standard, but not everyone knows how best to run them. Sometimes zoom or other meeting platforms are used.
M365 Under Utilisation
Everyone has figured it out as they have gone along, some people are fine with the technology, others are more fearful and find dealing with the technology stressful and time-consuming.
There are pockets of innovation, but most people have no idea of what services beyond Office apps, Teams and email, are available to them.
Staff Feel Like
They don’t know where to find documents.
Are not sure where to save them or share them.
They are getting messages from multiple sources and are overwhelmed by notifications.
They know there are better ways of working, but no one has the time to figure out what needs to change and make it happen.
Vicky Price Consulting Ltd offers a “done with you” Microsoft 365 adoption programme which focuses on helping organizations, departments or business units to:
Understand your team’s current documentation storage and sharing habits.
Define your document storage, sharing and retention policies and create an appropriate storage infrastructure in Microsoft 365 to support this.
Give your staff the opportunity to learn about the Office 365 document storage and collaboration tools available to them.
Migrate documents from legacy locations (e.g. file store, legacy SharePoint or other cloud storage services) to the new Microsoft 365 storage environment. This can be done with existing IT services, or done on behalf of your organization by Vicky Price Consulting Ltd associate staff.
Agree and document standard ways of working, document management policies and collaboration guidelines.
Create an ongoing support system by creating and sign-posting to user guides and training materials and developing a network of local champions to embed the new ways of working into standard business process.
WHO IS THIS FOR?
This offer is likely to be of interest if you are a business leader in organizations or departments (e.g. Head of Department, Operations Director) who knows that you have a requirement to move from legacy storage solutions and business processes, to Microsoft 365, but don’t have a clear path to make this happen. Your teams are not functioning as effectively as they could and the complaint that we don’t know where to find things has been heard frequently.
You are being asked by IT to move away from the legacy file storage, but don’t have the resources to assign to a project to make that happen. You have some people in your department who get along with Teams and others who seem to struggle.
A WORKFORCE WHO KNOW HOW TO STORE, SHARE AND FIND DOCUMENTS; TO WORK EFFECTIVELY WITH COLLEAGUES, CLIENTS AND CUSTOMERS; AND A NETWORK OF M365 CHAMPIONS WHO OWN THE SOLUTION
- All documents are migrated from legacy storage to M365.
- Staff no longer need to VPN to access local file store. All business content is cloud hosted and accessible from any device.
- All staff have been trained on how to access and shared documents in Teams, SharePoint Online and OneDrive.
- Staff know where the agreed locations for document storage are and how to use them.
- Staff use chat messaging and Teams chat rather than email for quick messages.
- Business processes dependent on legacy technology (e.g. Access) have been shifted to M365
- Approval workflows have been automated rather than relying on email threads or meetings.
- There is a network of M365 champions who know how to access extra support and training and are able to be the ‘go to’ person to support their colleagues.